Re: [therion-users] TeX paths

From: Martin Budaj
Subject: Re: [therion-users] TeX paths
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 18:36:56 +0100

> So I have installed the metapost macros in
> /usr/lib/texmf/metapost/therion/* and the TeX macros in
> /usr/lib/texmf/therion/* and run texhash, which has indeed updated
> /usr/lib/texmf/ls-R
>
> However this seems to work fine for the metapost stuff but not the TeX
> stuff.

Web2C based TeX distributions (you have one such according to pdfTeX banner)
use configuratin file texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf (or vartexmf/web2c/texmf.cnf --
various TeX distributions may differ in this point). All searching paths are
set here. For tex is it usually

TEXINPUTS.pdftex   = .;$TEXMF/{pdftex,tex}/{plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS = .;$TEXMF/tex/{generic,}//

It means that pdftex searches only in 'pdftex' and 'tex' subdirectories of the
texmf tree. So one solution would be to move therion tex to texmf/tex/.
(You had good luck to copy metapost files to texmf/metapost/)

It's also possible to modify TEXINPUTS to point to directory outside of texmf,
so there would be no necessity to copy therion files in texmf directory. Try

TEXINPUTS = .;$TEXMF/tex/{generic,}//;/cave/therion/lib/tex//

or similar.

Run texhash after changing texmf.cnf file.

Best regards

Martin