Re: [Therion] texlive support in therion

From: Martin Budaj
Subject: Re: [Therion] texlive support in therion
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:47:28 +0100

On 1/3/07, Wookey <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2007-01-03 10:14 +0100, Stacho Mudrak wrote:
> > There are two possibilities:
> >
> > 1. Comment out line 79 in thtexfonts.cxx and it should no more depend
> > on CS fonts.
>
> Is the /etc/therion.ini change not better than changing the code?

Yes.

> > 2. Add dependency to texlive-lang-czechslovak package (which contains
> > CS fonts).
>
> I am not sure what to do about these dependencies. For general debian
> use it seems to me that installing partitcular language fonts should
> be an option, rather than a requirement for everybody (it is an extra
> 4MB for each language pack). The main reason to include them by
> default is that some of the example files need them (I presume?).

They are just needed for correct displaying of some latin-2 characters
used in central Europe. If Therion is configured to use CM fonts only,
the files containig these accented characters can be still processed
and Therion makes an accented character as a combination of base
character and accent (if the accent is present in the CM font).
However, there are some special typographical rules how some accented
character should look like (e.g. t with caron is displayed as t with
comma above). So if therion makes a combination t + caron, it just
does not look right. If the native CS fonts are used, therion des not
need to make composite characters.

> I have currently set the dependencies to
> suggest: texlive-lang-czechslovak and added info the to the debian readme to
> explain that you need this package for some of the examples, and to
> change the /etc/therion.ini back.

This is the correct way if you don't like therion to be dependent on
CS fonts. The explanation should be that the fonts are needed for
correct displaying of latin-2 characters.

> Can therion recognise new fonts without having to add a line in the
> therion.ini file? Then it would just be a case of adding suitable
> langauge packs - that would be nicest, but presumably it has to be
> configured somewhere.

It cannot. We plan to find some unicode fonts to be included in the
distribution. Than there would be no external dependency on other
fonts or packages.

> I am not sure if perhaps it should be a
> recommends: texlive-lang-czechslovak dependency. That way it will
> normally just get installed for users who don't know what they are
> doing.

They would need to change ini file anyway.

Martin