Re: [Therion] Cave Overlays on Google Maps Web Sites

From: Julian Todd
Subject: Re: [Therion] Cave Overlays on Google Maps Web Sites
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:44:52 +0000

Martin Sluka wrote:
> On 27.1.2007, at 22:09, Bill Chadwick wrote:
>

>> It is quite easy to create a web page that shows a cave survey
>> overlay on
>> top of Google / Virtual Earth maps.
>>

> Good work!
>
> There is only one problem - google doesn't calculate with underground
> in 3D - so you may not see the vertical dependencies, the caves are
> always on surface.
>
> Martin

It looks like simultaneous invention all round.  I'm doing something on
this too.  I think it should work for any paper survey that you can scan
and upload, not just computerized ones output from therion or tunnel.  I
have a server which can do tile cutting of a large bitmap of a cave
survey.  It's going to be important to create a mask of transparencies
so you can see it overlayed without all the whitespace outside of the
cave passage.

Julian T.