Re: [Tinycc-devel] match formats and arguments exactly

From: Pascal Cuoq
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] match formats and arguments exactly
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 13:16:53 +0000

> On 21 Jun 2019, at 14:56, Christian Jullien <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> This is a valuable check but IMHO, it should be controlled by -Wformat (as
> GNU gcc) and set of false by default.
> Otherwise, I suspect tcc users will have a lot a new warnings.

I'm not implementing a new warning in TCC. I am only ensuring, by following C11
7.21.6.1:8 to the letter, that the TCC source code passes the strictest such
checks that a C compiler could have, and also that a very exotic C compiler
does not produce a non-functional binary when compiling TCC.

Considering the amount of code that good warnings represent, I think that a C
compiler can either be tiny, or provide helpful warnings. The patches I have
been sending, including the last one, only make TCC not exhibit undefined
behavior, a more manageable goal that only requires small changes and do not
make TCC significantly larger.

Pascal