Re: Inline methods without mimencode and Perl

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Inline methods without mimencode and Perl
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:40:30 +0200

Daniel Pittman <address@hidden> writes:

> *nod*  I would suggest maintaining a list of possible encodings, or
> rather functions that detect if an encoding works, in preference order.

This is almost done, except that there is no function to test whether
an coding works.  Instead, there is a function going through the list
and testing each coding.

Maybe a simple approach is to add a preparation function.  That is,
before testing a coding, Tramp executes the preparation function.
Maybe the preparation function could be allowed to veto the decision,
too: if Perl isn't on the remote end, then we don't even need to try
the Perl-based codings.

That should be easy enough to do.

Tramp is getting closer to the Tramp2 approach, I think :-)

kai