Re: tramp (2.0.8); Unable to edit remote files using Tramp

From: Krishnakumar B
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.8); Unable to edit remote files using Tramp
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 03:53:16 -0500

On Sunday, 4 August 2002, Kai  Gro?johann wrote:
> Krishnakumar B <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I get a message
> >
> > tramp-send-command-and-check: Couldn't find exit status of `ls -d /'
> >
> > after a series of other messages.
>
> This usually means that Tramp and the remote end got out of sync
> somewhere.  And the debug buffer confirms this.

BTW, the remote host runs SSH commercial version and I am using OpenSSH. I
exported the keys to the commercial version's format and since the home
directory is shared and NFS mounted, it works. Also the name of the home
directory changes from machine to machine i.e on some it is
/home/cs/student/kitty and on others it is /apt[1-5]/cs/student/kitty. But
I did check that I was able to get a login shell without entering any
password and it worked.

> > tramp_executable /pkg/gnu2k1/bin/bash
> > # Starting remote shell `/pkg/gnu2k1/bin/bash --norc' for tilde expansion...
> > $ PS1='$ ' ; exec /pkg/gnu2k1/bin/bash --norc
> > bash-2.05$ $ echo hello
> > # Waiting for remote `/pkg/gnu2k1/bin/bash --norc' to start up...
> > # Waiting for remote `/pkg/gnu2k1/bin/bash --norc' to start up...done
> > # Finding command to check if file exists
> > $ ls -d / 2>/dev/null; echo tramp_exit_status $?
> > hello
>
> This is where Tramp is getting confused: the "hello" appears at the
> wrong moment for some reason.
>
> > *tramp/scp ace*
> > ---------------
> >
> > hello
> > /
> > tramp_exit_status 0
> >
> > /////
> >

> Here it shows that the the "hello" even arrives between some slashes
> from the shell prompt.  Strange.
>
> Please try this patch.  It probably doesn't solve the problem, but it
> adds more debugging output.  I will also commit this to the CVS in a
> couple of minutes, so you can also check it out from there.

Sure, I will check out and see if I am able to reproduce the problem.

-kitty.

--
Krishnakumar B <kitty at cs dot wustl dot edu>
Distributed Object Computing Laboratory, Washington University in St.Louis