Re: Poll: Inline methods sufficient?

From: Benjamin Rutt
Subject: Re: Poll: Inline methods sufficient?
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 19:46:34 -0400

address@hidden (Kai writes:

> Tramp tries base64 encoding via mimencode, mmencode, two Perl scripts
> and GNU recode, and then it tries UU encoding via uuencode/uudecode.

[...]

> There are plans to support another encoding which uses "od -b" to
> read files from the remote host and SysV-style "echo -e" to send
> files to the remote host (including \000 for null bytes).  Is this
> really necessary, or is what is offered now enough?

Maybe you could consider supporting just one method, and eliminate the
others to reduce the number of code paths.

You could choose one method which uses tools that are most likely to
be installed on all remote systems.  This might very well be the
od/echo combination.

Then, whichever encoding system you choose will get very well tested,
since every user will be using it.  I think this would save on bugs,
since it reduces code paths.
--
Benjamin