Re: tramp (2.0.14); Tramp 2.0.14: endless loop queries password again a

From: Rainer Thiel
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.14); Tramp 2.0.14: endless loop queries password again and again
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:00:42 +0200

At 18:45 28.08.02, Kai wrote:
Does it help to put an (erase-buffer) statement into the function
tramp-action-password, like so?

(defun tramp-action-password (p multi-method method user host)
  "Query the user for a password."
  (when (tramp-method-out-of-band-p multi-method method)
    (kill-process (get-buffer-process (current-buffer)))
    (error (concat "Out of band method `%s' not applicable "
                   "for remote shell asking for a password")
           method))
  (erase-buffer)                ; THIS LINE NEW
  (tramp-enter-password p (match-string 0)))

After making this change, position point inside the defun and hit
C-M-x.  Then try again.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help.

I have copied the defun cited above into the scratch buffer, and done as you told me. After that, I don't get a password prompt when trying to connect. Instead, I get the old message I used to mistake for a query for user interaction ("tramp: Looking for pattern Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)\?", and then "Login failed" after a time.

Unless I am mistaken, the problem is unlikely to be due to the OS emacs runs upon, but should rather have to do with the connection method pretended by our server(s). If you think that may help you to solve the problem, I am willing to share with you my current password on one of the servers. That way, you could test out the problem by trying to access a file that I'd place there for test purposes.

Please let me know if you think that may be helpful.

Best, and many thanks for your help with Tramp,

Rainer

--
Priv.-Doz. Dr. Rainer Thiel
FB 10, Klass. Phil. - D-35032 Marburg, Germany (EU)