Re: tramp (2.0.14); tramp hangs when storing files >1000 bytes

From: Bjørn Nordbø
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.14); tramp hangs when storing files >1000 bytes
Date: 28 Aug 2002 22:18:45 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> Bjørn Nordbø <address@hidden> writes:
> > # Decoding region into remote file
> > /multi:ssh:address@hidden:ssh:address@hidden:/home/b/bn/projects/cystd/Sex.rb...
> > $ uudecode -p >/home/b/bn/projects/cystd/Sex.rb <<'EOF'
> > # Sending data to remote host...
> > [[...lots.of.uuencoded.stuff.omitted...]]
> > # Sending end of data token...
> > $ EOF
> > # Waiting for remote host to process data...
>
> If you open a connection to the remote host in the same way that
> Tramp opens a connection, and then you type the same commands that
> Tramp sends, what happens?

Well, I tried to run the following shell script:

ssh bastion.host uudecode -p \>/home/b/bn/ttt <<'EOF'
begin 644 xxx
M;6]D=6QE(%-E>`H@(&address@hidden;V1E*&]B:BP@<W,@/2!397A3='(N
(.....)
*("!E;F0*96YD"@``
`
end
EOF

This results in:

$ sh test-tramp
Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
ssh_askpass: exec(/local/libexec/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
Write failed: Broken pipe
$

I'm not quite sure what this means, but it seems to happen whenever I
try to run a command with ssh through the bastion host. If I use the
-t switch with ssh, I get no complains, but instead of an indication
that the command has run I get a login shell:

laptop$ ssh -t bastion.host echo hei \> ttt
login.hosts's password:
Last login: Wed Aug 28 22:16:38 2002 from bastion.host
login.host$ cat ttt
cat: ttt: No such file or directory
login.host$ logout
Connection to login.host closed.
Connection to bastion.host closed.
laptop$ cat ttt
cat: ttt: No such file or directory
laptop$

Adding "-t" to tramp-rsh-args for the ssh-method makes no difference.

Thanks for your help so far! :-)