Re: filename format not right in INFO file

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: filename format not right in INFO file
Date: 07 Nov 2002 08:38:08 +0100

Steve Pothier <address@hidden> writes:

> The INFO for tramp-2.0.25 would seem to indicate that something like
>   C-x C-f /[sm/address@hidden
> should work under Emacs.
>
> I tried that and got no indication that any TRAMP thing was being activited.
> I finally looked more carefully at the REGEXP used in
> tramp-file-name-structure to figure out what I needed.  That plus the "star
> wars approach" (Use the Source, Luke) lead me to something more like:
>    C-x C-f /ssh:address@hidden:.emacs
>
> Still doesn't quite work for me (hangs) but it asks for a password and
> connects. It seems that the documentation (or even the README) could have an
> example such as the above added as an aid.

The INFO files explain the file name format depending on which
Emacs flavor has been used generating them. If XEmacs has been
used, the [ssh/address@hidden syntax will be shown, otherwise the
/ssh:address@hidden: syntax. See Makefile and tramp.texi in
.../tramp/texi/ (Use the source, Luke ;-)

So I guess you've used something like "EMACS=xemacs" applying make.

Or you have very old INFO files generated before this syntax change
has happened (half a year ago I guess). The method "sm" in your
example is an indication for that assumption. This method is outdated,
and it isn't mentioned in the Tramp 2.0.25 INFO pages, I hope.