Re: info manual fails to build

From: Matt Swift
Subject: Re: info manual fails to build
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 12:59:48 -0400

>> Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

    >> I am doing
    >>
    >> configure --prefix=blah --with-lispdir=blah
    >>
    >> as has always worked up until the change above:

    M> You've taken Tramp from the CVS. According to the INSTALL, this case
    M> you need to perform "autoconf" as first step, in order to get an
    M> up-to-date configure script.

    M> And that's excactly what happened:

    >> configure: Tramp 2.0.31

    M> configure script was produced for Tramp 2.0.31

Thanks for your answer.  I've cleared up the problem, but not exactly
as you suggested.  As I followed your advice, I think I discovered the
real problem in an assumption I made.

The first time you check out tramp from CVS you have to run autoconf
to get a "configure", so I must have done that originally.  From then
on using "cvs update" you always have a "configure" to run.  My script
runs autoconf if there is not a configure script to run.  In any case,
my script was calling "make install" under the assumption that "make
install" implies simply "make".  In my experience, it always has.
With the Tramp makefiles, one needs to do "make" then separately "make
install" (or equivalently "make all install", but that is less
suitable for my shell function that I use for many Emacs CVS
packages).

I suggest making "install" depend on "all", for the sake of
convention, unless there is some reason not to do it in Tramp's case.

    M> Oops. Prefix should be "blah". Have you called this one with the
    M> "--prefix=blah" option?

I wrote "blah" because I didn't feel like typing out the full string,
which didn't seem relevant -- should have written "<blah>" maybe.

    >> checking datadir... ${prefix}/share
    >> checking lispdir... /usr/local/share/emacs/current/site-lisp/tramp

    M> Same for lispdir.

Same.