Re: rsync over rsh fails to solaris machine.

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: rsync over rsh fails to solaris machine.
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 14:28:27 +0200

aaditya sood <address@hidden> writes:

> When I try to set it up to get files via rsync over rsh from the remote
> machine it fails.

The default rsync method invokes ssh to log in on the remote host.
You can add an entry in tramp-methods to invoke rsh, instead:

(require 'tramp)
(add-to-list 'tramp-methods
     '("rsync_rsh" (tramp-connection-function  tramp-open-connection-rsh)
              (tramp-login-program        "rsh")
              (tramp-copy-program         "rsync")
              (tramp-remote-sh            "/bin/sh")
              (tramp-login-args           nil)
              (tramp-copy-args            ("--rsync-path=/usr/local/bin/rsync"))
              (tramp-copy-keep-date-arg   "-t"))

But I don't use rsh, so I'm not sure if it works.  Also, there is a
problem with the --rsync-path argument: it will only work for certain
remote hosts.  So you might have to use different methods for
different remote hosts.

Does this help?
--
This line is not blank.