Re: tramp mode for windows?

From: Joakim Verona
Subject: Re: tramp mode for windows?
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:50:44 +0100

> Joakim Verona <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Thanks Michael,
>> This still leaves the question which port forwarding software to use
>> that is simple to install and robust.
>
> It depends on the firewall you have in use (and whether you have
> modification access to it).

In most cases, no.

>> Maybe I can cook something up with the "putty" w32 ssh client.
>
> That I don't understand. If the w32 machine is your remote machine,
> you would need an sshd server there. And you would still need to pass
> the firewall. How do you do this?

This is how it works now:

- on w32 machine, run ssh client which port forwards the w32 ssh port
  to the tramp machine

- on the tramp machine, use ssh method to localhost to the local port
  forwarded w32 ssh port

The firewall is traversed because the w32 ssh client makes an outbound
connection to the tramp machine.

I guess this is not entirely obvious.

The problem with this aproach is that it relies on both a ssh client
and an sshd on the remote w32 machine.

if i can portforward the smb port and use that with tramp as you
suggest, there is only a ssh client left on the w32 machine.

--
Joakim Verona
www.verona.se