Re: tramp (2.0.51); wrong initial input poisens further use...

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.51); wrong initial input poisens further use...
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:33:46 +0100

Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> writes:

> Somehow "no such directory" errors seem to poison certain caches:
>
> I want to visit a file in `/etc' on `foo.bar.net', by accident I type
>
>   C-x C-f /address@hidden/etc/
>
> note the missing `:'!  Not surprisingly I get an error:
> "/address@hidden/etc/: no such directory".  No I try again:
>
>   C-x C-f /address@hidden:/etc/
>
> Everything works fine this time and I get an dired buffer with the
> content of `foo.bar.net:/etc/'.
>
> But when I try to open a file in the dired buffer, say `fstab' I get
> _again_ the error: "/address@hidden/etc/: no such directory".
>
> Even trying
>
>   C-x C-f /address@hidden:/etc/fstab
>
> results in the same error message.

Not reproducible here. I even don't get "no such directory".

Could you, please, check the value of `find-file-not-found-functions'?
In my case it is '(PC-look-for-include-file vc-file-not-found-hook).

If there is no relevant information, you might set debug-on-error to
non-nil in order to get a backtrace. It would be helpful to know where
this message comes from in both cases.