Re: tramp (2.0.52); Tramp stalls when parsing prompt with Escape sequenc

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.52); Tramp stalls when parsing prompt with Escape sequences
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:33:31 +0100

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

> Maybe you can do a
>
> export PS1="$"
>
> initiallize to standardize the prompt (before waiting for the prompt,
> of course),

Somehow, we do it already. But it doesn't work always. Or too
late. Maybe you could check Tramp 2.1; IIRC it is done more
consequently there.

> or simply use a command with ssh to avoid reading the
> user's shell configuration, such as
>
> ssh <host> "/bin/sh --noprofile --posix"

We have no knowledge about the ssh implementation on the remote host;
especially, we don't know whether it accepts those parameters (though
most ssh implementations should). So it cannot be the default case I
believe.

There could be a new ssh method carrying the parameters, but it is
more or less the same saying "please use 'sshxyz' if your remote
prompt has escape sequences" or "please don't use escape sequences in
the prompt on the remote host".