Tramp and file completion

From: Peter Gordon
Subject: Tramp and file completion
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:29:59 +0300

Hi.

The question arises because I am used to using ange-ftp and the tramp
behaviour is a bit different.

I open a file /address@hidden:/var/logs/messages

And then I want to open a different file on the same host, in /etc, say.

With ange-ftp, I typed a /, and this meant - use the /address@hidden:/
prefix.

If I wanted a file on the local host I would need to type //

The way that tramp is set up, I need to start deleting the previous
directory, which is not very user friendly.

Is there any way to duplicate the old ange-ftp behaviour with tramp?

Thanks,

Peter