Re: Should I use version 2.0.* or 2.1.*

From: Colin Hogben
Subject: Re: Should I use version 2.0.* or 2.1.*
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 11:27:27 +0100

Michael Albinus wrote:

In May 2004, feature freeze for Emacs 22 was announced. In order to
not disturb (and delay) Emacs 22, we have created Tramp 2.1, where all
new features went to.
So the answer is short: if you don't have problems with Emacs 22 and
Tramp 2.0, keep it as it is. If there are problems, we will try to
support your Tramp 2.0 version.

However, better support will be available for Tramp 2.1. And there are
other advantages as well; Tramp 2.1 has a better performance compared
to Tramp 2.0.

Thanks for your clear explanation - it makes sense now! Perhaps some of this should go into the tramp documentation to help anyone else similarly puzzled?

Emacs 23, which is said to have feature freeze this summer, will carry
Tramp 2.1. I hope it doesn't take another 3 years until release.

Yeeees - and I thought the Debian release cycle was glacial...