Re: File completion woe

From: yary
Subject: Re: File completion woe
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:14:27 -0700

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 6:27 AM, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
> yary <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I've never had file completion work with tramp, and after years of putting
>> up with it, I'm now asking for help!
>
> Sorry for the late answer; as usual it takes time until I find a w32
> machine for testing.

Sorry for my late update as well- a few days after posting, I examined
and changed my emacs options again and got file completion to work for
most of my hosts. There is still one that that it fails on- and that's
a host where tramp didn't even work until I posted some stack traces
here. That machine acts weird. See
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.tramp/6566

> I have installed "GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of
> 2008-05-15 on LENNART-69DE564". Nothing else, so it is the built-in
> Tramp 2.1.14-pre. My .emacs is empty (yes, it is not *my* machine).
> No site specific files for Emacs, AFAICS.
>
> Then I open a connection to a RHEL5 machine via "C-x C-f
> /plink:address@hidden: <RET>". Being there,
> there is no problem in completing filenames with "C-x C-f abc <TAB>".
>
> Could you, please, check it without any own settings, i.e. starting
> "emacs -Q"?

"emacs -Q" still fails with that one host. I have tramp-verbose 10
debug output pasted here
http://www.epastebin.com/?id=236c72b8c5f3baeb4ed17b86fb6d8a77

(with the hostname altered)

Thanks for looking at it.