Re: Curious permission problem

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Curious permission problem
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 13:28:03 +0100

Ole Laursen <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Michael Albinus
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I could reproduce the problem. However, it is different from the
>> previous one. When you save a file, `set-file-modes' is called by
>> `basic-save-buffer'. This is needed in order to keep permissions, when
>> the original file version has been moved to be the backup file.
>
> I was thinking that you could maybe store the original permissions in
> a buffer-local variable and use that when copying it back instead of
> relying on the file system? But that might be a bigger change.

It's not "me" (Tramp) who causes the problem. Emacs calls `set-file-modes'
on the original file. This fails in your case, it is not related to any
Tramp internal temporary file.

And yes, I believe Emacs shall follow file system conventions.
Otherwise, it would bypass the given security level, which might result
in undesired weaknesses.

Btw, I've tested the local file case, setting `make-backup-files' to
nil. Emacs still tries to apply chmod when saving the file, with the
known error. I do not know, whether we shall regard this as a feature,
or a bug.

> Ole

Best regards, Michael.

PS: does the patch works for you, reading that file?