Re: Cannot connect with tramp when ssh works

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Cannot connect with tramp when ssh works
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 19:04:33 -0500

>>> In this case, you might consider to use the Tramp method "plinkx", which
>>> requires as host name the plink session name.
>>
>> Not sure what that is or how it might look, can show a brief example
>> of what you mean?
>
> In PuTTY, you save/load a session under a name, let's say
> "host-session". In Tramp, you use then /plinkx:host-session:/

Thanks, but sorry to report all I get with that is a revolving request
for password.

using putty I have that machine saved as m1.

>From putty interface if I double click m1, I get a password prompt
immediately and am logged in after inserting it.

In emacs I try C-x d
then /plinkx:m1:/<RET>

Password prompt appears.  I insert passwd.  Password prompt appears
after a moment, I insert passwd.... and onward.