Re: tramp (2.2.6-pre); ssh hangs after password prompt

From: Philipp Haselwarter
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.6-pre); ssh hangs after password prompt
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 23:50:22 +0200

On Thu, Sep 06 2012 20:29 (@1346956144), Michael Albinus wrote:

> Philipp Haselwarter <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Philipp,
>
>> When I try to open a file over ssh with
>> C-x C-f /ssh:localhost: RET
>> I get a query to provide the password for ~/.authinfo.gpg (which does
>> not contain the required password) and then tramp's prompt:
>>
>> Password for /ssh:localhost:
>>
>> I enter my password, hit RET and nothing happens for a while. After some
>> time the prompt changes into
>>
>> Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
>>
>> After that nothing happens anymore until I hit C-g. The backtrace is
>> attached as *Backtrace*.
>
> The trace doesn't show more than your password was sent, and Tramp is
> waiting for the prompt. Forever.
>
> Could you, please, rerun your test with tramp-verbose set to 10? This
> shall show us the connection buffer, for which Tramp is waiting for the
> prompt to appear.

The output is attached. After the login there's the output of a call to
fortune:
>>> Alexander Graham Bell is alive and well in New York, and still waiting
>>> for a dial tone.

I tried commenting the fortune from my ~/.profile but it did not make a
difference.

> My crystal ball tells me there are unexpected escape sequences, or
> something like this. Did it work in the past, with the same remote host
> but an older Tramp version?

I couldn't get this working for some time now.
Other than the first trace which comes from a connection attempt on an
arch box I've attached a trace of a debian box (192.168.0.10).

> Best regards, Michael.

thanks for looking into this,
--
Philipp Haselwarter