Preventing TRAMP from writing duplicate entries to ~/.bash_history

From: SDS
Subject: Preventing TRAMP from writing duplicate entries to ~/.bash_history
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 20:49:21 -0500

I've set up my ~/.bashrc initialization file to remove duplicates in the
bash history list with

> export HISTCONTROL="erasedups"

but when TRAMP sends an ssh command, it writes to ~/.bash_history with
the line

> exec ssh -e none <hostname>

without removing duplicates. Is there a way to prevent this? Ideally I'd
like to prevent TRAMP commands from writing to bash history at all, but
if that's not feasible then removing duplicates would be fine.

Sorry if this is an elementary question, I'm inexperienced in these matters.

Cheers,

SDS