Re: PATH set in .bash_profile is not honored by eshell+tramp

From: Adrian Phillips
Subject: Re: PATH set in .bash_profile is not honored by eshell+tramp
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 08:33:50 +0100

    Ivan> The problem is that I set a custom PATH in my .bash_profile on
    Ivan> the remote host, but it is not used whenever I issue a command
    Ivan> in eshell (+tramp).

Ah, the fun of bash startup scripts. According to the man page :-

       When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a
       non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first reads and
       executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if that file
       exists.  After reading that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile,
       ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile, in that order, and reads and
       executes commands from the first one that exists and is readable.
       The --noprofile option may be used when the shell is started to
       inhibit this behavior.

       When a login shell exits, bash reads and executes commands from
       the file ~/.bash_logout, if it exists.

       When an interactive shell that is not a login shell is started,
       bash reads and executes commands from /etc/bash.bashrc and
       ~/.bashrc, if these files exist.  This may be inhibited by using
       the --norc option.  The --rcfile file option will force bash to
       read and execute commands from file instead of /etc/bash.bashrc
       and ~/.bashrc.

which would mean, unless tramp logs in using --login (presuambly via
some ssh mechanism) you'll need to setup things in .bashrc.

I've had a .bash_login that sources .bashrc for decades now to avoid all
these problems.

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Perl hacker                 | Ubuntu user