Re: Set PS1 on login?

From: yary
Subject: Re: Set PS1 on login?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 09:49:13 -0700

You may have an alternate way of setting PS1 at the client, though the server may be configured to ignore it. The ssh man page says this on my system:

Additionally, ssh reads ~/.ssh/environment, and adds lines of the format ``VARNAME=vale'' to the environment if the file exists and users are allowed to change their environment.  For more information, see the PermitUserEnvironment option in sshd_config(5).

-y

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 9:29 AM, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
John Collins <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,

Hi John,

> Happy (mostly) tramp user here that is also very new to it. As someone
> working with remote machines that I do not own or control, TRAMPs
> inability to handle fancy prompts is highly crippling. It's stated in
> the FAQ that "tramp needs a clean recognizable prompt on the remote
> host for accurate parsing". What I don't understand is why tramp can't
> set PS1 when logging in the typical way one does:
>
> ssh ... -t 'PS1='$'; bash -i'
>
> When I modify tramp-maybe-open-connection to do this it works just
> fine; I'm able to login to a remote that would hang with the message:
>
> Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...fail
>
> I figure there is a good reason this can't be done, but wanted to
> raise the issue just in case.

ssh does not allow this kind of environment passing. Try in your local
shell

# ssh localhost "PS1='$ '; /bin/sh"

or

# ssh localhost "/usr/bin/env PS1='$ ' /bin/sh"

It doesn't work. Therefore, Tramp cannot use this mechanism.

Instead, Tramp recommends to adapt the remote prompt by something like
this in the remote ~/.profile:

[ $TERM = "dumb" ] PS1='$ '