Re: tramp (2.3.5.26.2); Copy-paste of folder from Windows machine to Lin

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.3.5.26.2); Copy-paste of folder from Windows machine to Linux server does not work
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 17:20:11 +0200

Guillaume Demeyère <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Michael,

Hi Guillaume,

> I'm not sure if it's safe to send this level of detail on a mailing
> list, so I'm sending it privately. I'm working on a company computer
> (that's why it's a Windows), and I'd rather not do anything considered
> unsafe by my company regulations.

No problem. I've re-added address@hidden, because it is a pilot
error, and I would like to share the analysis for the archives. In my
analysis, there are no confidential data.

According to the backtrace in Tramp's debug buffer with debug level 10,
you have called interactively:

(copy-file "c:/Users/censored/Main.js"
"/plink:user@host|su:root@host:/home/censored/test" 1 nil)

This is wrong, because this invocation of copy-file expects .../test to
be a file, and not a directory. See the docstring of copy-file:

(copy-file FILE NEWNAME &optional OK-IF-ALREADY-EXISTS KEEP-TIME
PRESERVE-UID-GID PRESERVE-PERMISSIONS)

Copy FILE to NEWNAME.  Both args must be strings.
If NEWNAME is a directory name, copy FILE to a like-named file under
NEWNAME.  For NEWNAME to be recognized as a directory name, it should
end in a slash.

If you want to copy a file to a directory, you must call instead

(copy-file "c:/Users/censored/Main.js"
"/plink:user@host|su:root@host:/home/censored/test/" 1 nil)

Pls try it again. Keep the change for tramp-inline-compress-start-size.