Re: tramp hangs

From: Mark Geary
Subject: Re: tramp hangs
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 14:18:11 -0400 (EDT)

Attached. Comparing it with our Linux machines, I don't see anything
which would explain the difference in behavior, but there's a lot in
there and a lot for which I don't know its purpose On Thu, 19 Sep 2019, Michael Albinus wrote:

Mark Geary <address@hidden> writes:

Hard to say. However, the command line using stat(1) is kind of complex,
maybe Solaris has problems with this. So you could instruct Tramp *not*
to use stat (it will apply a perl script then, or a simple ls), which
might work better.

My tests show that it's just the length of the command, not any other
kind of complexity.  An echo command with a single argument works if
the total length is 256 or less and fails if it is more than 256 characters.

I see, thank you for the test. Could you please run in a bash shell on
that remote host the command "getconf -a"?

Attached. Comparing it with our Linux machines, I don't see anything
which would explain the difference in behavior, but there's a lot in
there and a lot of it I don't know its purpose

Mark

--
Make America greater!
Fifty-four Forty or Fight!