uisp-dev

Re: [Uisp-dev] STK500 / Atmel AVRISP query.

From: Jason Kyle
Subject: Re: [Uisp-dev] STK500 / Atmel AVRISP query.
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:42:02 +1200

At 12:39 18/09/2003 -0700, Theodore A. Roth wrote:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Victoria Welch wrote:

<snip>

> I have been told that this is a "stand alone stk500 programming
> section".  I am a bit confused on this issue and wonder if you can
> tell me if uisp supports this programmer?  In case it is important
> I am using 2313s, Mega8Ls, Mega103s and Mega323s.  I'm desperate
> enough to actually purchase a serial programmer :-(.

The ATAVRISP is basically a stripped down version of the stk500. It
can only do ISP programming via the SPI interface. It should support
those devices fine with UISP (take that with a grain of salt since
I've never used the ATAVRISP).

I'd recommend just spending a tad more and getting the stk500. You get
quite a bit more functionality including HiV programming, support for
more devices, LED outputs and Switches for input during prototyping,
etc.

I'd suggest the STK500 too since the AVRISP doesn't let go of the SPI lines when not programming, and that's a real pain if you've got SPI devices on those lines!

Jason