uisp-dev

[Uisp-dev] RE: [patch #2012] [Patch #2012] STK500: fast reads/verifies o

From: Dean Ferreyra
Subject: [Uisp-dev] RE: [patch #2012] [Patch #2012] STK500: fast reads/verifies on larger AVR parts
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 13:48:17 -0700

Hello,

I've uploaded this patch that modifies uisp so that --verify works faster on
large AVR parts when the flash image is a percentage of the total flash
available on the part.

For example, doing a --verify on a 45 K flash image on an ATmega128 was
taking 35 seconds --- the entire contents of the flash was being read in
from the chip to do the verify.  With this patch, the same verify takes 11
seconds --- chunks of flash are read in only as needed.  Of course, things
only get better with smaller flash images.  Verifying against a full 128 K
flash image still takes 35 seconds.

My original change was just in Stk500.[hC], and while it worked faster for
verifying small flash images, verifying larger flash images were taking
_longer_ than the unpatched version.  This was because of the extra
EnterProgrammingMode()/ExitProgrammingMode() calls.  So  I added a pair of
virtual member functions to TDevice:  Prepare() and UnPrepare().  This made
the driver code, like Main.C and MotIntl.C, responsible for surrounding
reads and writes with calls to Prepare() and Unprepare().

I've tested it for only a couple of days now under admittedly limited
circumstances, so beware.

Dean