uisp-dev

[Uisp-dev] AVR910 protocol

From: Joakim Arfvidsson
Subject: [Uisp-dev] AVR910 protocol
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 16:06:47 +0200

Is anyone deeply familiar with the AVR910 implementation in uisp?

Short question (read on for background) : Is there any character I, from the programmer hardware, can send subsequent to a confirming reply of a byte written, that uisp will ignore? Or would you know where I'd have to mess with the source to insert that behaviour?

I made a USB AVR programmer simply by combining the AVR910 appnote (with its code) and a FT232BM USB chip. That USB chip buffers the data going to the computer and won't send it on until either the buffer is full (on the order of 100 bytes) or a certain timeout expires. The default is 16 ms, which compared to the minimum of 1 ms really means 16 times worse performance with the latency-sensitive AVR910 protocol.

The real problem is that the mac drivers won't allow setting this timeout value, while the Windows ones do (there is no way to do it in hardware).

Since there is not even a pin "send directly" on the FT232BM chip, I'm seriously considering padding data up the the RX buffer size to have it sent immediately. So is there anything I could pad with that uisp would ignore? Or do you supposed I could hack the code? I'm a C programmer, but perhaps the architecture of AVR910 implementation would make this hard... you would have to be reading everything available and not just a byte when you expect when there is one available (the confirmation byte from my programmer).

Any tips appreciated!

Link to the programmer: http://www.e.kth.se/~joakimar/hardware

Joakim Arfvidsson