Re: [vile] Is there a way to apply CTRL-Af} to the whole of a file when

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: [vile] Is there a way to apply CTRL-Af} to the whole of a file when it's loaded?
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 14:09:04 +0000

On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 08:24:45AM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
> chris wrote:
>  > On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 08:50:47PM +0000, James Freer wrote:
>  > > That would format the whole file which for email (assuming Mutt is
>  > > like Alpine) one doesn't want. I think he only wants paragraph
>  > > format like Pico's ^J. I did use vim with Set Linebreak in the
>  > > .vimrc - can't remember exactly now... but it wrapped ALL because
>  > > with the >> there isn't then a blank line to mark a separate
>  > > paragraph. So it was back to Pico until i've mastered colour schemes
>  > > and other things for my full .vimrc file.
>  > >
>  > That's right, I hadn't really completely thought out what the problem
>  > was.
>  >
>  > My mail client (mutt) feeds the whole *body* of the message, with each
>  > line prefixed with '> ', into the editor.  What I really want to do is
>  > to find only the long lines and split them in the way that CTRL-Af}
>  > would do (except that it wouldn't stop at the end of the line).
>
> certainly a wrapper could do it, but i think you'll still have trouble
> identifying the parts of the file you want wrapped and which you
> don't.

Surely it's just long lines which start with '> ', doesn't sound *too*
difficult with awk.  I don't need to worry about stuff like long URLs
because if I want to use them I'll click on them in the original E-Mail
before replying.

I'll need some sort of mechanism for dealing with the case where there
are no spaces in the line (i.e. not wrappable) but that's all I think.

--
Chris Green