Re: [vile] Colour problem with vile on upgrade from Xubuntu 13.10 to Xub

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Colour problem with vile on upgrade from Xubuntu 13.10 to Xubuntu 14.04
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:55:47 -0400

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 09:29:53PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 01:42:57PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> [snip]
> > >
> > > With 'set fcolor=black' added to my .vilerc it's not a big problem but
> > > there's definitely something wrong.  I've not yet built xvile for the
> > > new system, if anything useful/odd appears then I'll report it.
> >
> > oh - I had thought you were talking about xvile (since that seems to be
> > where you discuss
> > problems most).  For either, a problem on the first line _could_ be from
> > having built with
> > external filters (that's the default because flex's behavior is an
> > extension).
> >
> I didn't explicitly select external filters when building, just perl
> and ncurses is about it.

ok...

http://invisible-island.net/vile/vile.faq.html#some_color_missing

for instance, the Debian package uses this command:

configure = \
        $(MYFLAGS); ../../configure \
        --prefix=/usr \
        --mandir='$${prefix}/share/man' \
        --with-app-defaults=/etc/X11/app-defaults \
        --with-locale \
        --with-loadable-filters=all \
        --disable-rpath-hack

I just built packages of 9.8m for myself a few minutes ago, and in case they're
useful, put a copy in

        ftp://invisible-island.net/temp/

> > Offhand, the last change I made in vile related to color was this (from
> > 9.8l):
> >
> >     + minor fix to tcap.c to restore colors after completing a loop which
> >       turns off attributes.  The directory.pm script caused the driver to
> >       reset reverse-video and bold, but the driver was restoring colors
> >       only after the first reset.
> >
> > Outside vile: each new version of vte (gnome-terminal - which I recall that
> > you use)
> > provides a new set of bugs.  If that's the cause, I may find a workaround
> > for it.
> > You can quickly check that with xterm, of course (they have #297 which
> > hasn't any
> > color-related issues reported against it).
> >
> OK, I'll check that tomorrow, it's getting on now and I've had a
> horrible cold so need my sleep! :-)

same here, but I'm not in need of sleep

> > In either case, I'll work through the setup, so that I can build the harder
> > stuff
> > (xterm, vile, lynx, ncurses), which will give me packages for vile which
> > you might use
> > for comparison.
> >

> Thanks for all your efforts.

no problem (report bugs)