web-trans-coord-discuss

Re: [Web-trans] Re: responsiveness check

From: Ofer Waldman
Subject: Re: [Web-trans] Re: responsiveness check
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 03:39:24 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Praveen Kamat <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 10:18:48 -0700 (PDT)
To: Ofer Waldman <address@hidden>

> --- Ofer Waldman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > ... The format you sent me (XLXLS Microsoft
> > excel), is a closed format so we'd better not use
> > it, especially not for GNU purposes :)
>
> I agree but the laptop I use has Windows XP and I am
> still figuring out how to non-destructively partition
> the hard disk for a GNU/Linux installation.

bummer.
Install openoffice there.
Whenever I'm forced to use Windows I make sure to have OpenOffice there.
HTML is possible on all platforms anyway.

> > the coordinators list is definitely
> > outdated, we don't know who's active, and we don't
> > know who are the people within each team.
>
> Based on the responses received so far which seem to
> indicate that several language teams are either
> inactive or defunct should we consider updating the
> mailing lists and the <.../README.translations.html>
> web page. I am hesitant to suggest revising the list
> and removing the inactive team lead contacts in case
> they have only been slow to respond but I think we
> need to start somewhere to accurately reflect the
> current situation.

Go for it.
Make the needed changes and we'll upload it.

> > ...  we also don't actively create and encourage
> > translation teams, we only accept suggestions for
> > such. we also don't have statistic on what is
> > translated and how much is left.
>
> As a next step should we begin to take an inventory of
> what has been translated and what needs to be based on
> some kind of prioritization of the originals.

I won't be able to help you with that much (around the middle of October I'll
get busier, so I won't be able to help
alot), but I'll be happy to hear your ideas on that one.

> > By the way, what languages do you master? where are
> > you from? (just curious)
>
> I did programming in C/C++ and Visual Basic but that
> was almost 10-12 years ago.

I meant human languages, but nice to know :)

> > And another "by the way", we _must_ find a way to
> > avoid all the SPAM. our list archive is flooded with
> > junk-mail...
>
> Some of us had brought this to the attention of RMS
> who had the sysadmin setup some form of anti-spam
> filter on the web-trans mailing list. The situation
> seems to have improved but it does not appear to have
> stopped the spams completely.

I think that if we won't put the address in plain form on the site (at least
something like "web-trans AT gnu.org" it
would improve things greatly. could you ask RMS on that? (I'll probably forget)

---
salut!
    Ofer Waldman (a.k.a. the duke)
    GNU translations co-coordinator