web-trans-coord-discuss

[Web-trans] Re: Location for translation teams' pages?

From: Praveen Kamat
Subject: [Web-trans] Re: Location for translation teams' pages?
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:25:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- GNU Chief Webmaster <address@hidden>
wrote:

> That would work great if I had heard from the new
> translation
> coordinator at all. I've sent several messages and
> have not received a
> response. I don't know how you did it :)

Hi Derek,

The translation coordinators team has yet to gel since
Masayuki transitioned off from his translation
manager's role. Aside from Ofer who was the only
translation coordinator left, Dwayne Dever and myself
are the new additions to the team but we have yet to
work out a reasonable plan of sharing the work load.
I am still familiarizing myself with the
process/procedures to support the translation
coordination activities.

As a first step I have attempted to verify that the
translation team leads listed on the
<http://www.gnu.org/server/standards/README.translations.html>
page is valid. Based on only 11 responses received of
the 25 listed it appears that several of the languages
are in need of an active translation team lead. I have
updated the "Translations underway" section to reflect
the contact info available and sent the page to Ofer
for his review before publishing it.

There has also been an interest expressed to start
several new translation teams for Dutch,
Farsi(Persian), Ukrainian, Azeri, Finnish, Thai,
mainland Portuguese. But before I respond to have them
start new teams I need to understand how the web
translations is coordinated and what is the
recommended practice for initiating a new translation
team:

1) When someone volunteers to start a transalation
team are they then expected to be setup with CVS
access to the www.gnu.org project and to directly
publish their translated pages to the gnu.org server.

2) When a translation team submits translated pages to
be published on the gnu.org server is the translation
required to be reviewed by someone before being
published and if yes who approves the translation for
publication.

3) Should all the translation team leads have CVS
access to www for publishing. If not should I as the
translation coordinator go ahead and do it for them
When a translated page is submitted for publishing or
do I need to coordinate with a webmaster.

4) What is the process for dealing with requests for
new mailing lists to support translation activities.
Recently we have had a request from Nic Ferrier for a
mailing list of translators willing to support
translation of news alerts. I had sent this request to
address@hidden with a cc to the webmaster but
have not heard from either of them.

A response to these questions will help me get
started. I will probably have several more questions
as we go forward before I become truly effective as a
translation coordinator.

Thanks
Praveen
GNU Translation Coordinator