web-trans-coord-discuss

[Web-trans] daily devotional (Wed. 11-10-2004)Liveprayer.com

From: prayermanager
Subject: [Web-trans] daily devotional (Wed. 11-10-2004)Liveprayer.com
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:19:57 -0500

If this devotional is a blessing to you, maybe you have a friend or
family member that would like to start receiving this daily word. You
can forward this to them, and they can use the following link to subscribe.
www.liveprayer.com/signup.htm

DAILY DEVOTIONAL      WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 10, 2004
(1 Timothy 2:9, 1 Peter 3:3,4, Isaiah 3:16-24)

***THIS IS A MESSAGE EVERY WOMAN FROM THE AGE OF 10 TO 90 NEEDS TO READ.
PLEASE FORWARD IT TO EVERY WOMAN THAT YOU KNOW.

The clothing a woman wears.  This is a Devotional that is long overdue and
one I have prayed over for many weeks prior to sending it out.  It is
important that you read ALL of it, and not take one part out of context.
This is not only a legitimate issue, but one the church has quit preaching
on for fear of offending people.  I pray that the Holy Spirit will open your
ears to hear all God is saying to you about this issue of the clothing a
woman wears.

In dealing with this topic, we have to go to God's Word, our final authority
in all issues.  The key word I want you to hear throughout this Devotional
is "modesty."   The key verse is found in 1 Timothy 2:9 where the Word says,
"I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety."  I am
fully aware that our present culture teaches the exact opposite which is why
this message today is so critical.  As I have stated often, for the child of
God we are to live UP to the standards of God, and not DOWN to the standards
of this world.

Let me make this first point perfectly clear.  The moment you die and are
standing before God, the only garment He is going to be interested in is to
see if you are wearing the white robe of righteousness that comes from
knowing Jesus Christ as your Savior.  THAT, is the only garment God is
concerned about.  It is your heart God will judge, not your wardrobe.  This
issue of dress is one of spiritual maturity, being more like Christ, having
a desire to be the most effective servant of our Lord that you can be during
this life.

In some churches, they have made it part of their rules for women to be
dressed in certain ways.  While I respect the heart and intention of these
churches, they are not Biblically accurate.  It is critical in studying the
Bible that you understand the social and cultural issues involved in a
passage as well as what God is saying.  In giving the Law, God talks about
how a woman is not supposed to dress as a man, nor a man as a woman.  While
we are no longer under the Old Testament Law, it is a good reminder that
even though men and women are 100% equal, they are also each unique with
different roles to play.  God also knew how bad a man would look in a dress.

As fashions have changed over the years, there are lots of clothing like
bluejeans, t-shirts, sports jerseys, mostly casual clothing both men and
women wear.  When it comes to more formal dress, it is very obvious that the
pants a woman might wear are very different than the pants a man would wear.
It takes nothing away from a woman being a woman by wearing this type of
clothing and is NOT what the Bible was speaking against, even in the Old
Testament Law.  So churches that force a woman to wear a dress are taking an
extreme and unBiblical position.

The other issue the Bible speaks of in this area is hair and jewelry.
Again, it is CRITICAL to understand the cultural and social issues involved
at the time these passages were written.  In the days the New Testament was
written, Greek and Roman women were little more than property.  They found
their worth in their clothing, in their hair, and in their jewelry.  Of
course, as they came to know Christ as their Savior, they brought this part
of their life into the church.

Peter helped these women understand where their true worth was found in 1
Peter Chapter 3.  These words are just as applicable today as many women are
in the same trap the women of that day were in.  Trying to find their worth
in the fashion of the day, the hairstyle of the moment, and the endless
array of jewelry that is as close as your local mall or TV shopping channel.
Peter said, "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as
braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  Instead, it
should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet
spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."

Let me come back to the word I want you to clearly hear today, and that is
modesty.  There is nothing wrong about dressing in a way to feel good about
yourself.  But the question is, do I feel good about myself because of what
I am wearing, or who I am in Christ?  Do I get my worth from how other
people view me, or how God views me?  Do I dress to impress others, or
impress God?  These are important questions you need to ask yourself.

There are two important Biblical principles I want you to be aware of.  One
is avoiding the appearance of evil, and the other is to not be a
stumblingblock.  The world sends the exact OPPOSITE message.  Appear evil
and do your best to be a stumblingblock.  The media feeds women a steady
diet of lies from the pits of hell of how a woman should dress from the
music, television, and movie industries.

Don't you realize when you dress like Paris, Britney, or Christina or any of
these
stars, you are sending a message that you are for sale?  Just as bad, men
are visual creatures.  There are VERY FEW men on the face of this earth that
don't struggle with lust.  Don't you realize when you dress provocatively,
you are being a stumblingblock to men?  Why give someone the false
impression you are not a Godly woman just because of what you wear?  Why
cause a man to sin by lusting after you because of what you wear?  Pray
about what you wear when you are out socially, pray about what you wear when
you go to work, and please, PRAY ABOUT WHAT YOU WEAR WHEN YOU GO TO CHURCH!
When in doubt, remember Paul's admonition, MODESTY.

I love you and care about you so much.  This message today is about maturing
in Christ, being a real woman of God.  Like many of the women in the early
church, there are many women that may be young in the Lord who simply don't
know they need to change the way they dress.  That is why older women of the
faith need to be involved in the lives of younger women, that is Biblical by
the way (Titus 2:4), to help them know how God expects them to live and act
and
what to wear.

I will be praying for you today.  Praying that God will speak to you through
these words.  Please don't misunderstand this message.  There is NOTHING
wrong with a woman wearing nice clothes, looking her best, having her hair
done nicely, or wearing jewelry.  Simply be cognizant that in what you wear
you do not give the "appearance of evil," or are a stumblingblock to others.
The key is to know that your worth to God is not in what you wear on the
outside, but in who you are on the inside.  It is not your clothes God will
judge, it is your heart!

In His love and service,
Your friend and brother in Christ,
Bill Keller

If I can help you in any way you can contact me through my personal email
at address@hidden

***GET YOUR FREE LPeMAIL ACCOUNT!  Never miss receiving your Daily
Devotional again.  LPeMail is an effective email SPAM filtering application
that most ISP's charge $10/mo, for FREE!  Get your LPeMail account now at:
www.lpemail.com .

***I am excited to let you know that the Liveprayer Daily Devotional is
now available via AUDIO each day.  Simply go to
http://www.liveprayer.com/DailyDevotionalAudio.html

©Copyright 2004, Bill Keller Ministries. All rights reserved

---
You are currently subscribed to dailydevotional as: address@hidden

address@hidden
The above is NOT a web site address. You must send an email to it.