web-trans-coord-discuss

[Web-trans] homepages with news!

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: [Web-trans] homepages with news!
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:14:12 +0000

Finally, after a long and tortuous non-technical process, I have
managed to create a homepage that is not complicated to make but
includes fresh news automatically.

The page is here:

   http://www.gnu.org/homepage_including.shtml

It uses server side includes to include a fragment of HTML generated
by the news update program.

The upshot is that whenever whatsnew.txt changes, the homepage will
change.

Because it's SSI it's still easy to hack the HTML. It is not necessary
to clean up the HTML before inserting the SSI tags (so the homepage
translations which are not well formed will still be able to do this).

Unless people really hate this I am going to change the main GNU
homepage to this next week.

I am going to replace the home.html page with the homepage_including.html

I will also add the SSI statement to the following translation
homepages:

  Catalan:   home.ca.html
  Italian:   home.it.html
  Polish:    home.pl.html

because they have translations of whatsnew.txt

Please let me know as soon as possible if you are opposed to these
changes.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk