wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Using --robots=off / --no-robots downloads the ro

From: Tim Rühsen
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Using --robots=off / --no-robots downloads the robots.txt file and scans it for sitemaps (!454)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 08:36:29 +0000

Tim Rühsen commented:

Please amend the documentation for --robots in docs/wget2.md. Otherwise LGTM
:-).

> This merge request addresses #456

If you change this into `This merge request closes #456`, then the issue
becomes auto-closed when we merge this MR (Gitlab feature).

> I have done a clean install after making these changes.

You don't have to. That's what we have the CI runners for. A `make clean &&
make check` is fine as long as you don't see compiler warnings or failing
tests. For development it is good to turn our manywarnings feature on with
`touch .manywarnings && ./configure`.

`./bootstrap` and `./configure` is only needed when you touch configure.ac,
Makefile.am, bootstrap.conf (and possibly some other files).

BTW, I didn't make a clean install since years.

> It appears to me that this was a very quick fix, there might be better ways
> to do the same.

Yes, some fixes are straight forward. Others needs refactoring and many hours
of work (I am just at one which should then close several issues).

Anyways, there might always be corner cases that we don't think about now. E.g.
how robots.txt works with different combinations of options. We might see
issues in the future, but then we'll fix them and add that kind of things to
the test suite.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/merge_requests/454#note_233725421