wget-dev

Re: wget | Duplicate file naming in Windows (#13)

From: Darshit Shah (@darnir)
Subject: Re: wget | Duplicate file naming in Windows (#13)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 13:18:29 +0000

Darshit Shah commented:
https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget/-/issues/13#note_1779058735

Wget is a Unix tool first and foremost. Windows has the unfortunate expectation
that the file extension defines the application that is used to open the file.
We could attempt to modify the stem of the filename on Windows instead of
appending a .1 at the end, but this would be much more error prone. Not to
mention it would be a big breaking change in how Wget has been working.

I'm not too keen on making this change. Any thoughts by anyone else? Else I'll
close this issue as WONTFIX

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget/-/issues/13#note_1779058735