ww-tedit-dev

[ww-tedit-dev] observations about GUI build

From: petar marinov
Subject: [ww-tedit-dev] observations about GUI build
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:10:39 -0800

GUI build is approaching the state of being usable. I personally planned to use the GUI build in order to activate ClearType fonts on my LCD monitors at work and at home. I find this mode preferable for LCD, but I was unpleasantly suprised to find that text console drops artifacts around the menus of the editor.

At the moment I still see two obstacles for myself to use the GUI build on a day to day basis. 1. Even though I'm in ClearType, the editor itself uses the non-cleartype fonts. 2. The editor when resized, crashes.

I will need technical help on 1. How to use ClearType fonts? I wrongly believed that all the font drawings in Windows would automaticly switch when configured from Control Panel. To further my confision, I found that Windows Media Player uses ClearType fonts even though my desctop was not configured to use them. This is another evidance that ClearType is somehow under the will of the application to select and Control Panel is only configuring desctop elements to use it.

-petar