wxruby-dev

[Wxruby-dev] RE: [FR-devel] Greetings from a new member

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: [Wxruby-dev] RE: [FR-devel] Greetings from a new member
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 19:07:39 -0800

Kevin Smith wrote:

> Hello all. My name is Kevin Smith, and I've worked with Ruby on and off
> for the last three years or so. Like someone else recently, I jumped
> straight from C++ to Ruby, and those two languages remain my favorites.
>
> My interest here is less with freeride itself, and more with wxRuby. I
> am still looking for that elusive "ideal" gui toolkit for Ruby. It has
> to be free (as in speech), cross-platform, have an elegant API, be
> attractive on-screen, and have a reasonable widget collection.
>
> For me, the main drawback of FLTK and FOX is that they do not use native
> widgets, which has the unfortunate effect of making them inaccessible to
> blind and low-vision users. I work for a non-profit that builds software
> for blind folks, which has made me aware of this situation.

Yes, it is precisely because wxWindows uses native widgets the we (the
FreeRIDErs) are also want ruby bindings to wxWindows.

> Currently, GTK shares this problem as well. There is quite a bit of
> accessibility work underway to try to solve it, but that work is
> progressing very slowly. None of the other powerful toolkits seem to be
> in a position to solve this problem without major effort.
>
> I helped develop Ruby/FLTK, and wrote the GTK section of Hal Fulton's
> Ruby book. I have written a couple GTK Ruby apps, and ported one to
> FLTK. I also worked pretty intensely with wxWindows under C++ for a few
> months, back in 1998. And I've been using Java Swing for over a year.
>
> Anyway, since I couldn't find an active wxRuby forum, and because I am
> also interested in freeride itself, I thought I should join this list.

There is a wxRuby developers mailing list:

        http://savannah.nongnu.org/mail/index.php?group=wxruby

I have cross-posted this message to the wxRuby list, because that is where
we should be posting. There has not been a lot of activity on the list
mainly because I have been the only one working on it for a while (Bob Calco
and I worked together briefly at the beginning of the project). And all work
on wxRuby was temporarily suspended at the beginning of October as we
started a major push to get an initial release of FreeRIDE out the door
(which has still not happened yet.

I will post a status of wxRuby and what I think the next steps need to be as
a response to Bob Calco's message (which I wall also cross-post to the
wxRuby mailing list). So, please read that.

Curt

PS
   Welcome to FreeRIDE and/or wxRuby!!!