wxruby-dev

RE: [Wxruby-dev] RE: about wxruby

From: Bob Calco
Subject: RE: [Wxruby-dev] RE: about wxruby
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 09:28:31 -0500

Curt's correct - we can use some help.

The key to getting Cable (http://public.kitware.com/Cable/HTML/Index.html)
to work is development of a Ruby generator. Basically, Cable relies on
GCC_XML to "compile" the C++ library to XML; the once and future Ruby
generator would then be able to parse the XML and generate the wrapper code.

This gives you complete control over how to wrap arbitrarily complex C++
code for extension to your favorite script language. (SWIG has certain
limitations and the interface files are a pain in the wa-toozi.) Because the
inventors of Cable are TCL fans, they have a complete wrapper generation
engine for TCL, and the source has been helpful to me in figuring out how to
write the Ruby generator. As Curt says, juggling the whole full-time work
and family thing is tough, but we refuse to give up!

Any suggestions, contributions, and otherwise ideas are welcome. :)

Sincerely,

Bob Calco