wxruby-dev

[Wxruby-dev] wxRuby - How Do We Proceed?

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: [Wxruby-dev] wxRuby - How Do We Proceed?
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 02:09:56 -0700

First off, let me correct the statement I made in my earlier post. I had
said that Park's wxRuby was a port of wxPython. Originally that was true,
but the current version was done independently.

As I have been saying for quite a while, the main problem we have with had
the wxRuby project is finding someone with the time and bandwidth to take
primary ownership of the project to move it forward. The last time I posed
this question (4-8-2003), no one responded.

Park, do you plan to fill this role? If not, I would ask the same question
of Kevin?

I can still act as an administrator, facilitator, and tester (writing a
FreeRIDE plugin to use wxRuby as its GUI renderer), but I won't be able to
do any actual wxRuby development.

Here's what I think needs to be done:

1) Determine who is going to be the technical lead for this project.

2) Delete the old wxRuby source code from the CVS repository (it is
currently Park's old wxPython port. The CVS repository is located at:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs/index.php?group=wxruby

3) Check in Park's new source code.

4) Migrate to Kevin's template approach (if there are no objections).

5) Determine what still remains to be done before I begin writing a wxRuby
renderer for FreeRIDE.

6) Anything else???

In any case, I really want to get a designated technical lead in place. So,
please respond if you want to fill that role.

Thank you,
Curt