wxruby-dev

[Wxruby-dev] wxRuby Naming

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: [Wxruby-dev] wxRuby Naming
Date: 08 May 2003 05:11:25 -0700

I haven't had a chance to try to compile Park's wxRuby yet, so if any of
this is incorrect, please let me know. My concerns in this message are
listed in order of decreasing importance, starting with the one that I
feel strongest about.

It looks like the shared library (.so/.dll) is named simply 'wx'. Under
Linux, I don't think that's appropriate because people wouldn't know
that it is related to Ruby. It really should be wxruby.so, I think.

We should also probably use different names for the Windows and Linux
shared library files, because I assumed the wx.so in the zip file would
be a Linux file. I am not very familiar with cygwin, so I'm less sure
about this suggestion.

I notice that classes and constants within Wx include Wx in their name,
like WxFontDialog and WxALIGN_CENTER. If you don't use 'include Wx' in
your Ruby code, this will look like: Wx::WxFontDialog and
Wx::WxALIGN_CENTER. I think it would be better to leave out the second
Wx, and just name them Wx::FontDialog and Wx::ALIGN_CENTER. I guess this
was done to be consistent with wxWindows itself, but I also notice that
wxWindows is inconsistent with things like EVT_CLOSE.

I think those are all my naming concerns. It would be best to decide one
way or another before a first "official" release, even of a 0.1 version.

Thanks,

Kevin