wxruby-dev

RE: [Wxruby-dev] Naming questions

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [Wxruby-dev] Naming questions
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 01:18:44 -0500

Kevin Smith wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 09:13, Curt Hibbs wrote:
> > I abosultely agree here -- it should be named wxruby.so.
>
> Done and checked into Savannah.

Great!

I won't be able to get it from CVS until Tuesday when I go into the office.
For some reason, my wireless connection through SprintPCS doesn't work with
SSH/CVS. But I can get it with my office's LAN connection.

> > > 6. I notice that method names are upper case, which matches the
> > > wxWindows standard but does not match the Ruby standard. As
> long as Ruby
> > > won't get confused, I'm ok keeping them as upper case. I know
> Ruby does
> > > treat variables differently depending on the case of the first letter,
> > > so I'm slightly concerned.
> >
> > I would go with Ruby standard names.
>
> So, when we wrap the original wxApp::SetAppName which of these do you
> think it should be?
>
> SetAppName
> setAppName
> set_app_name
>
> Personally, I prefer setAppName, which is consistent with our inversion
> of the first letter of all the class names, from wxApp to WxApp.

I would use the ruby standard convention "set_app_name".

> But what should we do with current methods like EVT_ACTIVATE?
>
> EVT_ACTIVATE
> evt_activate
> evt_ACTIVATE (ugh)
> eVT_ACTIVATE (UGH)

Still, I would stick with the standard and use "evt_activate".

> For constants, we currently wrap wxOk as WxOk, and wxEVT_CHAR_HOOK as
> WxEVT_CHAR_HOOK.

How about: WX_OK and WX_EVT_CHAR_HOOK?

Curt