access-activists

[Access-activists] Re: [Accessibility] Call to Arms

From: Christian Hofstader
Subject: [Access-activists] Re: [Accessibility] Call to Arms
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:26:56 -0400

eric: I would love to except much of the process requires computer programs that I can't use with currently available speech recognition. seriously Richard, you do have a chicken or egg problem. The free software foundation philosophy precludes enhancing nonfree software. I get that and I can make my peace with it. The cost is that you lose volunteers from the disabled community. If they can't enhance or expand on NaturallySpeaking capabilities, then they can't participate until you produce a large vocabulary continuous speech recognition system. Bit of an organizational pickle. But then again, the other solution is too.

cdh: I don't know if this is possible but, if we can build a limited vocabulary speech recognition engine designed to work explicitly for programmers that we can put out as emacs macros, would a person incapable of using a keyboard be able to help with the hacking? As it is emacs, we can do a whole lot of command and control statements as well as meta commands that can do a bunch of things with few words that would be useful to a hacker sans keyboard, if it can be done, it can be done in emacs and emacspeak and, therefore, this could be a very cool place to start that is probably a shorter route to getting hackers with this set of disabilities up and going to help build the next generation.

cdh: ALso, an area about which I am nearly totally ignorant is on screen keyboards. I'm told that GNOME 3 has a much better replacement for GOC coming that may also be useful for people who cannot use a standard keyboard.

cdh

cdh: Meanwhile,