access-activists

[Access-activists] Re: [Accessibility] Call to Arms

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Access-activists] Re: [Accessibility] Call to Arms
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 22:52:41 -0400

    I was speaking shorthand. It's not an add-on to
    NaturallySpeaking. It is an add-on to the communications framework
    between recognition application and user application.

Something like that might be independent enough of the recognizer
to be a valid project.  But there ARE free software packages for
speech recognition.  So people should develop it to work with them.
If users can also run it with NaturallySpeaking, that is ok,
as long as we don't suggest it.

However, I think we should not include such things in THIS project,
because we need to focus energy on the goal of making those free
recognizers better.  For us, replacing important proprietary software
takes priority over advancing the capabilities of software.