access-activists

[Access-activists] Re: [Accessibility] Call to Arms

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Access-activists] Re: [Accessibility] Call to Arms
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:17:32 -0400

When my hands hurt so much I could not type normally, using nonfree
dictation software was out of the question.  It would have been
unethical unless I were working on developing the free replacement for
that software, and that's not the work I needed to do.  So I was
required by conscience not to use it.

I hired people to type for me some of the time.  Sometimes I
touch-typed despite the pain for a few minutes.  It hurt, but it was
ethical.  The rest of the time, I typed with a pencil in my hand.  It
was slow, but it was ethical.

These are the principles of the GNU Project, which we follow here.