access-activists

[Access-activists] Re: 90 Day Projects?

From: Peter Korn
Subject: [Access-activists] Re: 90 Day Projects?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 12:32:49 -0700

Hi gang,

Please see the official White House blog entry titled "The Power of Technology, The Power of Equality" at http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2010/07/20/power-technology-power-equality which includes a brief description of the "brainstorming session" convened by CTO Aneesh Chopra to explore a few real world accessibility problems and ways to address them (perhaps in the next 90 days).  I excerpt the relevant paragraph from the blog:
"Two dozen technologists and disability advocates then convened to "brainstorm."  It seems like a simple idea but the truth is that the two don't always speak the same language.  Our hope was that in 90 minutes we could come up with a couple of real world problems that an Internet-based application or service could potentially solve - or at least make better.  For example, could crowdsourcing on the Web help plot the accessibility of local sidewalks or building entrances so at the click of a mouse or tap of a Smartphone a person could know which entrance to a building he or she was headed to was easiest to enter?  There were many good ideas discussed, and it marked the beginning of a conversation we believe will ultimately bear fruit as the creative juices continue to flow. "
No mention of grant funding for this work came up in that brainstorming session (I attended that session).  I think a bit of "game of telephone" happened here, with my mentioning this event to Janina being turned into potentially fund-able 90-day projects when it went through her conversation with Chris and from there to this mailing list.

Regards,

Peter