access-activists

[Access-activists] In Cambridge...

From: Chris Hofstader
Subject: [Access-activists] In Cambridge...
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 07:39:25 -0400

Hi,

We're up in our Cambridge residence and I will be here until early to
mid-November (Susan is going back to Florida to work on the Senate race in
mid-October). I have a few trips, the biggest being two weeks in San Francisco
September 14-27.

I am supposed to go to Sevilla for the Aegis conference in early October but I
have still not been given a reason to attend. We have no time on the schedule
to do a presentation and we're not even on a panel. Joanie, the orca
maintainer, will be there as will Peter and some of our other friends but I'm
not sure what to do other than engage people in hallway and meal conversation.
I do not think this will be worth the money but Peter may disagree.

Also, because the NFB convention in Dallas was about triple the cost I had
budgeted for it and, at our Florida home, the air conditioning broke and I just
spent $7000 to replace it, I would need to go begging for the dollars to take
the trip. Someone there, one of your contacts, promised me a place to stay but
I would still need airfare and meals.

I am trying to get us onto the speaker and panelist list for other conferences
moving forward and have had some success but don't really know what to do with
the trip to Spain. My preference, of course, is to not go and let Joanie speak
for free access technology software. It's hard to tell what Peter can do/say
publicly as he is now an Oracle minion and, while I'm sure his personal
priorities haven't changed, his employers are not at all like Sun just a year
ago.

While in town, I would like to meet a lot of the FSF people in person and, if
possible, get a couple of hours of tutorial on how I can get the accessibility
blog, web pages and wiki going. I can get most anywhere and, in Cambridge, can
go most places alone with only my dog for guidance.

Will you be here at all? Sina will be here next week for a visit and I'd very
much like to introduce the two of you in person.

HH,
cdh