adonthell-artwork

Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Flooring...

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Flooring...
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 17:01:02 +0200

> Either way my perspective isn't very good and 45 degrees looks nicer
> overall IMO. However, from a gfx point of view I'm not sure if it's so
> good. When designing rooms or buildings or tiles it's nice if the
> dimensions on the ground are in some simple proportion. Then tiles can
> have dimensions of 2:3 or something like that rather than 1:0.707 which
> would give akward lenghts of pixels. Height on the other hand is not so
> important because I doubt you'll need objects where height is in a
> simple proportion to width.
>
> I've just done a few calculations and I recon 41.81... degrees is the
> best way to go. That way, if I'm not mistaken, distances away along the
> ground away from the viewer are 2/3 x the width (so my 'square' tiles
> would be 30x20 pixels for example). The same distance vertically is
> 0.745... times the width which is rather conveniently pretty much 3/4!

Well, I don't know much about the matter, but I'd rather be a keep-it-rea...
errr keep-it-simple ;) supporter. It doesn't matter much whether the angle is
perfect as long as it looks good - and what I'd like to avoid above all are
0.707-like multiplications. This would be a pain for the artists, as well as
for the developers of the map engine who will have to do complex arithmetic
when moving characters vertically.

This problem is one of the most important we have to solve for the moment, and
the solution should be written down as soon as we have it. Your current
tiles, if supposed to be squarish, are very handy to handle since their
height is half of their width. But from a visual point of view, they may make
the scene look like the camera is not far enough from the ground.

Your idea of a 2/3 visual perspective is appealing. A fakeshot would be
welcome to see how it looks like. We should check as well how it would look
like for characters and objects. I don't know if Naked Guy would still fit.
Maybe if you have a tool like Blender on hand, you can try some renderings of
characters and objects models under this angle to see how it looks like!

But the angle being quite similar to 45°, I'm not too afraid of the result. It
should be ok. Maybe we can even say the perspective is 45°, but the visuals
are rounded to 2:3 for convenience.

Alex.
PS: I think we should keep-it-real as well.
--
http://www.gnurou.org