adonthell-artwork

Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Flooring...

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Flooring...
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 20:48:41 +0200

> Especially, I wouldn't allow a user to set x and y movement, but rather
> a velocity v. From the direction and the velocity you can calculate the
> proper x and y movement. Unless the direction (or velocity) changes,
> there is no need to recalculate x or y. So even if the arithmetic is a
> little more complex, it doesn't really hurt.

Absolutely right.

> OTOH, in v0.3 there is no difference in x and y movement (right?), even
> though the world is seen from an angle other than 90°. And nobody ever
> complained! In fact, it didn't even occur to me until now. And I could
> imagine that people would complain if movement speed between horizontal
> and vertical direction would be notably different ;).

That's right. On the other hand, the internals of the engine are going to be
3d - so if the objects have a different aspect ratio, the movments should be
scaled as well, otherwise there will be a gap between what's done by the
engine and how it is displayed. I guess this is something that will have to
be tested.

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org